When it comes to business attire or buying dresses online in Singapore then what they wear to work differs in every field. For example, if you are working in a creative field then you may be allowed to wear any decent clothing you wish to wear.
On the other hand, if you are working in a law firm which requires you to be meeting clients all the time then you must wear appropriate office attire such as suits for men while women can wear suits, dresses and skirts.
FORMAL BUSINESS ATTIRE VS OFFICE CASUAL WEAR
Formal lady’s office wear consists of outfits such as suits which can be worn to a meeting with a client. Casual attire such as dresses can be worn to contemporary places to work or a casual Friday at work. Both types of have their pros and cons.
Formal clothing such as suits do not take up much time although they can be uncomfortable, whereas when it comes to informal office wear it can be time-consuming to decide what to wear although they can be quite comfortable.
WHAT TO WEAR IN AN OFFICE IN SINGAPORE IF YOU ARE A LADY?
Here is a guide on what to wear in an office in Singapore if you are a woman.
OFFICE WEAR TIPS:
If you do not have an idea of what to wear to an interview or to an office then you follow these tips to get know-how:
- If a dress code is applicable, then pay attention to it. Different settings and occasions require different styles of office wear. To be seen as a professional employee one needs to dress appropriately as it makes you seem that want to be successful in your role.
- If you work in an office or are new to the office environment, paying close attention to what others are wearing can give you a clear idea of what type of apparel you must wear to appear professional. You may want to dress similar to the person whose position you’d like to reach.
- Before going to an interview, you may check the “About Us” page on their website or blog or social media as it may have videos of their employees. That can give you one a clear-cut idea of whether they prefer casual dresses or if they prefer formal office wear.
- Even if your work allows casual office wear do not wear large and bulky accessories or colors that can be distracting. If you are a woman then avoid wearing heels above four inches. Also, any clothing or accessories with offensive phrases or imagery is also a big no!
OFFICE FORMAL DRESSING:
If you are a woman who works in a firm which requires meeting executives and clients frequently such as finance firm, then you are asked to wear appropriate office attire such as office dresses or suits. Such type of attire is the highest level of professional dress. A tailor-made pantsuit, office dress, or a skirt suit in a conservative color such as white, black, beige and navy:
- Collared white button-ups.
- Tights or pantyhose preferably in a dark color.
- Non-distracting, conservative jewelry such as pearl earrings instead of chandelier earrings.
- Hair either pulled back in a sleek ponytail or let loose in a well-groomed cut such as bob or soft layers.
- Closed-toe heels are preferred over peep-toe heels in neutral colors such as beige, black, white and navy.
- Neat, neutral painted or topped with a clear coat polished nail.
- The skirts length should never be more than two fingers above the knees.
TRADITIONAL BUSINESS ATTIRE:
A relaxed version of formal office wear for ladies would be business professional clothing also known as traditional business attire. Although it is equivalently neat and conservative, it is a little less loose when it comes to patterns and colors. Along with appearing professional one can project their personality as well with this type of attire. Traditional business attire for ladies includes:
- A suit with one of two buttons, skirts, printed dresses which are not distracting, a top or a jacket with conservative colors such as black and brown. One can easily shop this look from any online store in Singapore and get it delivered to them.
- Button-up shirts with collars that may be any solid non-distracting colors.
- Nude or dark colored tights or other hosiery.
- Neutral colored closed-toe pumps such as black or brown.
- Larger, noticeable jewelry as long as it does not distract others. A bulky but high-quality watch.
- The skirt is the same as the formal office wear which is no more above than two-finger width above the knee.
- Neat and well-groomed nails with neutral colored nail polish or a clear coat.
- Neat and well-groomed hair in a bun or braid or let loose.
BUSINESS CASUAL ATTIRE:
This type of attire is mostly found in organizations which deal with digital marketing and things related to it. In a casual business setting, one can experiment more with colors and accessories. As the term “business casual attire” is different from organization to an organization it is better to first ask the HR for the guidelines of attire instead of making assumptions. Sometimes business casual attire is also called executive tire. Here are the outfits ladies can wear in a casual business attire setting:
- Instead of a full suit, you can wear your dress shirt with a pair of khakis or slacks.
- Rather than mandatory collared button-downs, one can wear colored shirts and blouses. Muted patterns and solid colors are appreciated instead of low-cut shirts and bright colors.
- Nails should be well-groomed and any solid colors are allowed unless they are distracting.
- Larger jewelry such as statement necklaces is allowed. Scarves are not appreciated.
- Shoes can be comfortable flats and loafers but they should be closed-toe. Can be any color although black, navy, white and such neutral colors are appreciated.
- Hair can be less conservative with highlights just that it should be neatly styled into a bun or a sleek ponytail.
- A formal work dress is great as well, although one has to avoid being too casual.
If you are a woman who is fortunate enough to work in an organization which allows you to wear whatever you may then the trick of staying casual as well as professional lies in creating a balance between creative clothing and casual clothing.
This is because at the end of the day your colleagues and employers might judge you for what you are wearing. In order to look professional but also relaxed a woman can wear neatly pressed and appropriate clothing for work.
- Not too tight or revealing shirts, blouses, and tops which are nicely fit. One can easily buy them at any online Singaporean store.
- Slacks, dresses and skirts in more casual fabrics such as cotton. If jeans are permissible then dark washed only with no flared bottoms or denim cuts.
- Skirts should be knee-length or the same as other office wear settings.
- When it comes to hair, more adventurous and colors are allowed and not frowned upon.
- As far as nails are concerned there is more freedom to apply any color with the exception of novelty characters and designs.
- This is the only business setting which allows open-toed shoes. Casual shoes such as sneakers and flip-flops should be avoided.
When it comes to working in any organization follow the rule of thumb that is to always look professional even if your work permits casual attire. This article was written in such a manner that it allows you to have a clear idea of what can be worn to work in each type of office setting. Plus, you can easily shop these looks online.